Monday, January 17, 2011
Story of Sadie's Birth
It all started last Sunday night (January 9th) where I was scheduled to be induced at 10pm. We had planned for Corey's mom to come stay with the kids that night. She arrived at our house at 7pm that evening ready to watch the kids. At about 7:30pm the hospital called and informed me that they were extremely busy and that they wanted me to call them before heading to the hospital to make sure there was a L&D room. Not much time had passed and I get another phone call from the hospital, which it was about 8pm, and they informed me that they were out of rooms for the night and that they had 4 women walk in to the hospital in active-labor. They gave me the, 'call us at 6am and will try to get you in in the morning'. Well, I got up or after just laying in bed wondering about this baby, I called at 5:30am and they said that someone would call me back soon. Well, at 7am the phone rang and they said they just have no room and things there are busy and that they will do my inducement at 10pm that night. I was also told that they never bump you from being induced 2 days in a row. So, all Monday, I chilled at the house with Brady, took and picked the kids from school, and did last minute things knowing I was going to get in at 10pm that night...Corey gets home and his mom came back to be here while the kids slept and viola-another call from the hospital. I thought to myself, really, are this many people delivering babies in January!? Well, I talked to them and they gave me the same story as Sunday night...call before you plan on leaving your house. Well, at 9:30pm, I call the hospital and was promised to be induced at 11pm.
We arrive at the hospital at 11pm and are greeted in a room by a really nice nurse. She asked me about getting induced and told us we were lucky we got a room. She said that for the last 5-6 weeks they've been turning down people getting induced before their actual due dates. They have been so busy and I also learned that the hospital I delivered at only has 7 Labor and Delivery Rooms. Katy is definitely living up to the 'fastest growing cities' in the country if they are that busy! After the nurse got our information, she talked to the on-call doctor and they decided that I would start pitocin at 4am. They gave me an ambien and I was out like a light. Well, at 4am Corey was awoken by 6 nurses coming into the room trying to figure out why the baby's heart beat was dropping on the monitor. Well, I was so dazed I sort of just don't remember everything at that time. Well, after realizing the baby was moving so much and the monitor just needed to be moved on me. They then wanted to start the pitocin at 6am...which 6am comes and goes with no start of having this baby. Well at 7am my doctor walks in, checks me, and then decides to do a quick ultrasound. Final ultrasound: baby is breeched!
Let's face it-this baby was probably breeched 90% of my pregnancy. My doctor was not real sure she wanted to try and turn this baby because it might cause me to have an emergency c-section. I definitely don't want to be rushed into surgery. So at this point we made the decision to just have a c-section that day at 11am. I continued to just lay there and my nervousness just got worse and worse. I was not thrilled with going under the knife or having a spinal instead of an epidural. I didn't know how my recovery would be but I knew it would be 10x worse than a regular birth. The for sure thing was that I just was tired of being pregnant and was willing to get this baby out no matter what!
At 11am I walked back to the operating room and got the spinal in my back which hurt so BAD! I then laid there on the table, got prepared for what was to be the birth of Sadie. All I could really think about was this baby needs to be healthy and have all her fingers and toes. I also couldn't wait for Corey to be next to me to calm my fears. Well, let's just say-I am still trying to block out what exactly it felt like and that I still have pain every so often during the day. If you want to know exactly what happened or what it all felt like...call me.
Since I was having a c-section, I went ahead and had my tubes tied. Yes, at 32 I did what I had to do to insure that we have more than the 4 we are blessed with. My recovery was rough. I was so so tired for the rest of the day and at the same time all the drugs made me sick to my stomach! I was probably not very coherent the rest of the day so I didn't call anyone saying we had the baby nor could I keep my eyes open when the kids came to see her sister! I felt bad but that is just how it was that day.
Well, after Tuesday, things got a little better everyday. I was finally released from the hospital on Friday, January 14th. Sadie has been a trooper at home and the kids are loving having a baby sister in the house! Corey's been AMAZING at taking care of the kids, making sure I rest, and take care of the baby. I love him for all that he's done for me during this time in our lives.
Sadie has been such a blessing in our home. She is nursing well, sleeping pretty good, and getting tons of love from her siblings. I have to admit she is hard to put down. I just love holding her because I know they grow up so fast! I hope to take some cute pictures of her this week as the kids go back to school tomorrow and life sort of gets back to normal. Stay tuned for those...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment