Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sleep...What's that??

Sleep is so nice especially when you can sleep in on the weekends! It all started on Friday night when I took the 3 kiddos to the basketball game Corey was playing in at the church. They got home late, needed to still eat something, and go to bed. Bedtime was 9:30pm and it usually is between 8-8:30pm. My thought after getting them to bed late is...they'll sleep in! Boy was I wrong!! Grant woke up at 5:45am, Ashlyn woke up at 6:45am, and Brady 7:30am!! Hello, it is still dark outside and it is Saturday...we sleep in, sort of (8am). Brady was the good one who slept in. On Saturday we usually take the kids bike riding and they play outside most of the day. Grant kept asking when we were going to ride bikes and I had to remind him it was WINDY and COLD to ride bikes but that does not stop him. Eventually he went on a bike ride in the most fierce wind. I stayed inside with Brady trying to convince him to take a nap. Oh, Brady didn't nap but for an hour all day....he's teething really bad and was cranky all day! The good part of all this is that the kids went to bed early. Two were asleep after I went to pick up pizza for dinner and not soon after I was home with pizza and then back out the door to the store Grant was asleep. All 3 were asleep by 7:30pm... So, this morning or should I say middle of the night Grant climbed in our bed (12:30am he was discovered by Corey)and was told to go back to his bed. About an hour after that...Ashlyn was in the kitchen searching for things to eat and drink (she missed out on pizza for dinner). I was up trying to get her something to drink and sent her back up the stairs to bed. Grant was back in our room before 7am this morning bugging us and that is when I decided I needed to see how Brady was doing and he was up too but just laying in his crib. I LOVE cribs and when kids can't just hop in our bed on the weekends :). Our kids must love weird sleeping patterns on the weekends. I wish they'd just sleep upstairs and then wake up at a normal hour on the weekend. Let's hope for better sleep from now on! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but we also love our sleep without the kids in and out of our beds at crazy hours in the night.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I love my kids, too, but not between the hours of 10PM and 7AM. They have learned to wake their dad if they need anything.;)

Ruth said...

kate you just need to teach them what volume to turn the cartoons on in the morning and leave the channel set the night before--even david will sit and watch cartoons for an hour in the morning before he wakes us up

Liz G. said...

I hear ya! Putting them to bed later does NOT ensure a late wake up in the morning! I learning this lesson the hard way and realized that putting them to bed earlier does not make them wake up earlier, so we just put them to bed at 7pm on the dot every night and they still get up at 6:30 am, but at least they go some good sleep. On Saturdays, we just make them go in their room and play with the door shut.

blog_meg said...

We never appreciate our sleep until we're not getting it!