Thursday, December 17, 2009

No more Cashews!!

My daughter has now made it official that we can no longer have cashews or 'nuts' in our home! I got the call from the school nurse (who can be sometimes dramatic) to tell me that a child shared her lunch with Ashlyn. She said that Ashlyn's eyes and face were red and swollen. I rushed to get Brady some warm clothes on and a rain coat and headed out the door. I got to the school to realize that my daughter is severly allergic to Corey and I's favorite nut-the cashew! I got some benadryl in her and rushed her straight to the doctor to make sure we were ok with the benadryl. She also has to be on some steroid medicine and have an epi-pen. I wish I had had my camera with me to show you how terrible a cashew had swollen this girls face and arms!! Thankfully she is doing ok after a little throwing up in my car on the way to the doctor and some medicine.

2 comments:

amanda said...

did they give her a shot of the epi pen? Or just the steriods? I would ask for a rast test to know what degree it is and go see an allergist. I think there is a branch of allergy and asthma associates over in Katy. I really like mine up here. This will let you know just how bad it is and if she needs to carry that epi pen with her at all times, etc. Trust me it is worth knowing! (I have been through it!) I hope she feels better and that the steriods kick in soon-did they give her the ODT ones? Hang in there. Merry Christmas! I am the allergy pro-you can always call if you have any questions :) I spend enough time there anyway....

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

Yikes. I am so sorry to hear that. When we got Carson's Epi-pen we were overwhelmed. You will get used to it and Ashlyn will learn to stay far away from Cashews.