Thursday, March 25, 2010

Inside the mind of Grant

This year in 1st grade they encourage the kids to write and be creative with it. Well, Grant has started to LOVE maps, all kinds. He also loves to talk about going east and west, the bridges we see as we are driving, etc. Being high-functioning autistic/aspergers he thinks differently but it is soooo cute. He has a hard time expressing himself correctly with the words but I have learned to understand it. Here is a sample of what he brought home today (fyi: it is on long run on sentence)....
my dad go to the rodeo my mom go to the rodeo my dad go fishing north and south and west and east down parkway down I-10 right down 610 and 45 the north west freeway at 290 by south by road on a bridg my dad see sheep.
Basically Grant almost remembers the way to the rodeo from 3 weeks ago. He also knows we had to drive on most of these freeways to get a enclosure for our trampoline. He is a very very smart boy who definitely has a photographic memory. I am amazed at what he knows when he does share it with me. I love him and he has taught me so much about understanding kids with special needs. We love you Grant and are so grateful you are part of our home :)